***CLOSES FEBRUARY 15th! GET YOUR QUERIES IN!***
We’ve been hinting for the past two months, and we’re officially announcing the OPEN CALL for artists and writers to contribute to Unfashioned Creatures: A Frankenstein Anthology.
“We are unfashioned creatures, but half made up, if one wiser, better, dearer than ourselves — such a friend ought to be — do not lend his aid to perfectionate our weak and faulty natures.” -Mary Shelley, Frankenstein
So…what the hell is Unfashioned Creatures?
As we’ve done with The Poe Twisted Anthology & Shakespeare Shaken, this anthology will be a collection of completely original comics and art inspired by Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein.
- No “adaptations.”
- No prose.
We want short comics that use the themes, ideas, characters and concepts in Frankenstein within new and original eight-page comic shorts and/or single-page vignettes. Additional points to ponder:
- ANY GENRE is welcome. Any time period, any setting. Be funny, be sad, be gothic, be whatever. We expect the unexpected from you.
- Artists and writers should be familiar with more than just a movie. We want unique approaches to themes and characters within Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, not a Frankenstein movie.
- Bonus points to folks who take the time to read our previous anthologies to best understand what we’re trying to do in this new collection.
That sounds great! How do I send my story?!
Stop right there, Lash Laroo! We’re not looking to read your Frankenstein Magnum-Opus just quite yet. You can send a query as a comic team (writer and artist together) or as an individual open to being assigned to a creative team, but do not send a pitch or attachment without being invited.
- WRITERS, please format your query as follows (no more, no less): Send a message through our Contact Us page with your name, brief bio and a link to your social media page or portfolio. First time writers and students welcome, but you should at least have some kind of creative work available online for us to peruse. Tell us if you are a team or an individual.
- ARTISTS, please format your query as follows (no more, no less): Send a message through our Contact Us page with your name, brief bio and a link to your online portfolio or website. Again, first timers and students welcome, but you MUST have a link to samples of your work online, no exceptions. Tell us if you do sequential work, or will only do posters/prints/vignettes. Please note that vignette artists will still be asked to complete between three and five pieces. Inkers and Colorists are welcome to apply as well!
Everyone can expect a reply within two weeks of receipt. Deadline for queries is February 15th!
So yeah! That’s it. Super excited to get started. Now let’s make some heads roll!