***CLOSES FEBRUARY 15th! GET YOUR QUERIES IN!***
We have been rocking you with hints for the last month. Now, Red Stylo Media is excited to announce the OPEN CALL for artists and writers to contribute to The Killer Queen Comics Anthology.
Wait…Queen? As in, that Queen?
Yes, that Queen. After Twisting Poe, Shaking Shakespeare, and Fashioning Frankenstein, we decided that the Show Must Go On…in a slightly different direction. The format remains the same as past anthologies. We’re looking for 8-page comics, posters, and vignettes inspired by songs from Queen’s legendary discography. It may not be literature, but it is still classic!
Red Stylo is pretty flexible, but here are some basic rules on how to Play the Game
- We’re looking for inspiration, not adaptation. So, no panel-by-panel recreations of “Bohemian Rhapsody.” Queen’s music is not public domain, so we have to ensure that all stories are original works falling within fair use. Plus, straight-up adaptations are not how we do things at Red Stylo. If you haven’t already, check out our past comic anthologies to get an idea of what we are all about.
- We Want to Break Free…of the box. Any genre is welcome. Comedy, tragedy, farce, sci-fi…the more “out there” the idea is, the more we want to hear it. So long as it takes inspiration from a Queen song-title or theme, you’re golden.
- Dig deep into the catalog. Hidden gems and forgotten tracks are very welcome.
- Band members are fair game. Want to use Freddie, Brian, John and Roger as characters? Awesome! But, again, this is not an “official” anthology, so keep things fun and fictional.
I’m Going Slightly Mad! How do I get in on this?!
Just slow down. This isn’t a race (Bicycle or otherwise). You can send a query as a comic team (writer and artist together) or as an individual open to being assigned to a creative team, but do not send a pitch or attachment without being invited. Pitches sent without invitation will be deleted without reply–sorry!
- WRITERS, please format your query as follows (no more, no less): Send a message through our Contact Us page with your name, brief bio and a link to a portfolio or sample of your work. First time comic writers and students welcome, but you should at least have some kind of creative work available online for us to peruse, even if it’s just social media. Tell us if you are a team or an individual.
- ARTISTS, please format your query as follows (no more, no less): Send a message through our Contact Us page with your name, brief bio and a link to your online portfolio or website. Again, first timers and students welcome, but you MUST have a link to samples of your work online, no exceptions. Tell us if you do sequential work, or will only do posters/prints/vignettes. Please note that vignette artists will still be asked to complete between three and five pieces. Inkers and Colorists are welcome to apply as well!
Everyone can expect a reply within two weeks of receipt. Deadline for queries is February 15th! So, put those Queen albums on repeat and get those pitches ready! We hope you are as excited as we are! The Killer Queen Comics Anthology! Recommended at any price. Wanna try?